The Electrician's House

In 1901 Thomas Skarrat Hall bought the Weeting Hall estate as a country seat. After standing empty for four years the Hall was in a deplorable condition, but as T S Hall had unlimited resources, money was not a restriction to his plans. Although most of the improvements to the Hall only required the service of a competent builder, the estate needed updating, so the services of an architect was required. T S Hall could afford the best, so he engaged Edward Boardman & Son. By 1901 Boardman senior was 68 years old and near retirement, so he passed the commission over to his son for completion.

The first building to be designed was the electrician's house; the plans were drawn-up in 1902 and building work began almost immediately. It was in the Edwardian Country Cottage style, on two floors with living room, parlour, scullery and three bedrooms, with earth closet and well outside. Weeting Hall had been wired for electricity the previous year with power produced by a steam- driven generator installed in a building called the Power House, situated almost opposite the electrician's house; near enough so he could hear if it broke down and far enough from the mansion so the family could not hear the machinery thumping away!


The house is in private ownership with no public access. The exterior maybe seen from the adjoining public road "Castle Close".